July 22, 2011

Fascination of Art


Olive Jars
I got more comfortable with VIS when I was in Year 8. That was when I started to love the work of Art. I had such an amazing and kind Art Teacher (though most students disliked her =/) who inspired me. The Art Class there was much more serious yet fun at the same time. We actually had projects to do and at the end of the semester we had to create our own drawing, using either charcoal, chalk or oil pastel.

The 1st project which we all had done was drawing Olive Jars. We mixed oil pastel colours to create the colours which looked similar to the colour of the olives, bottle caps, labels, everything related to the object. It wasn’t just a matter of drawing it; we had to observe the object carefully. The challenge of that project was the curves of the jar bottles. Some draw it flat as it appears in front of them, but actually it has some curves around it.



Boxes from perfumes, make up, jewellries etc.


The 2nd project was drawing A4 sized boxes or smaller, placed on top of each other and in a 3D angle, which we coloured in with felt-tips. It wasn’t as easy as it sounded, you can mess it up quite easily, especially by using felt-tips. The reason is, if you coloured in the boxes diagonally, vertically and criss-cross at the same time, it would appear very messy. Therefore, you had to be really careful and precise with the way you coloured the boxes in, or else it’ll turn out Pretty Ugly.
 
Oranges










The 3rd project was drawing a kind of fruit, using chalks. The fruit was cut into pieces, mine was oranges. Before drawing the fruits, we had to take a photo of them first as we take at least 2-3 weeks to finish every project. Everyone else took a photo of their fruit from a bird’s eye view, whereas I took a photo of it from an angle...worm’s eye view? well, something like that ;P. I knew it would be a hard task but I wanted it to be different from others, not just flat oranges on a paper, I wanted to cover the whole page.

Corpse Bride

The 4th project was the final one and I had a difficulty on deciding what and which photo to choose to draw from. My ideas were drawing a human’s eyes, cat paw or a feather. I asked my mom for ideas and she thought of an eagle’s face or Corpse Bride. I practiced drawing all of them beforehand and because my mom really likes Corpse Bride, I decided to draw that for my final project.

It was harder to draw CB on a bigger sized paper and we had to use charcoal for that. It was my first time using charcoal, so I was very careful as I was scared to get the drawing dirty. But I hadn’t known that charcoal could be erased...until I saw others using the eraser xD. I was still careful with it though, it was really fun using charcoals. Now, I find charcoal and chalk much better to use, than oil pastel.
My admiration of Art began from Mrs. J’s class and I’m very thankful that I had learnt something new and something that I actually like, all because of her. Now, I wish I could and would do something related with Art in the near future.

P.S- Let me know what you think of them, please =).

No comments:

Post a Comment